- Rochelle Harris, 27, went on holiday to Peru with her boyfriend this year
- On the flight back she developed excruciating headaches, face pain, started hearing noises in her head and fluid then leaked from her ear
- Went to A&E where doctors thought she had a minor ear infection
- But closer inspection revealed a New World Army Screw Worm fly had laid eggs in her ear which had burrowed 12mm into ear canal
- Luckily they had not spread to brain or near any major blood vessels
- Surgeons removed the flesh-eating creatures and Rochelle made a full recovery
A woman has spoken of her terror at discovering that she harboured flesh-eating maggots inside her ear.
When Rochelle Harris, 27, from Derby, returned from the holiday of a lifetime in Peru, she thought little of the headaches that she had started to develop on the flight back to the UK.
But within hours she had developed excruciating shooting pains down one side of her face and had started to hear strange scratching sounds in her head. The next morning she woke to a pillow soaked with fluid from her ear.
Scroll down for video
Rochelle’s ordeal features in a new Discovery Channel documentary, called ‘Bugs, Bites and Parasites’ that follows the work of specialists who are faced with patients exhibiting a variety of mysterious symptoms – more often than not from people who have travelled abroad.
On her arrival back in the UK, Rochelle became increasingly concerned there may be something seriously wrong, so she visited her local Accident and Emergency department at the Royal Derby Hospital.